October 21, 2019 SUBSCRIBE
BRN Weekly Podcast for Sunday, October 20, 2019 In this episode: (1) The great diversity conundrum: what happens when women are in more senior corporate roles?, (2) Netflix reports a bounce back in Q3 earnings, but loses subscribers and Sears: a cautionary tale for retail shoppers this holiday season?, (3) A two-faced economy? geopolitical concerns ebb, but bonds are selling off – what are the implications?, (4) open enrollment for Medicare: what you need to know and, (5) the president’s executives orders impacting regulatory and sub-regulatory agencies: what’s it mean to service providers, employers?
TOP SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS
PERSONAL FINANCE, FINANCIAL WELLNESS, ANNUITIES, TAXES, CHARITY & FINANCIAL LITERACY
- The Expenses People Often Forget When They Plan for Retirement ; Can an Average Couple Live on Social Security Alone?
- Living Paycheck to Paycheck? There’s an App for That ; Does Increased Debt Offset 401k Savings? ; Pay Up or Get Out
- US teachers take hands-on approach to financial literacy ; People who live alone, with low financial literacy most at risk for fraud
- Path to retirement readiness littered with blind spots ; Americans spend 7000% more time watching TV than they do on their finances
- 401(k) Early Withdrawals Will Be Easier: Be Careful! ; Be creative when withdrawing from retirement accounts ; State Regulators Tackle The Toughest Part Its Annuity Sales Model; How annuities may make sense for women ; People Love Pensions, Remain Skeptical About Annuities
- Financial planners sharpen their focus on the next generation of clients
- Here’s how much millennials can really save by being safe drivers
- 8 signs you’re ready to stop renting and buy a home
HEALTHCARE & WELLNESS
- New Report Shows Costs, Benefits of Varied Healthcare Reforms
- Hackers Targeting Healthcare with Social Engineering, Email Spoofing
- Investment income plays important role for nonprofit hospitals, Fitch says
- Medicare fraudsters now tap telemedicine in medical equipment scams
- Public Views on Vaping and E-Cigarettes
- California Power Blackouts Reveal Widespread Vulnerability in Healthcare System
- Common mistakes clients must avoid during Medicare open enrollment ; Medigap Plan F Will Soon End. Here’s How That Changes Retirees’ Costs. ;What if Medicare Paid Your Dentist?
- Private equity firm defends itself on ‘surprise’ medical billing in letter to House
TECH, MEDIA & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Zappos data breach settlement: users get 10% store discount, lawyers get $1.6m
- California adds biometric specs to data breach law
- Amazon Needs a Leash
- Is your child’s digital wallet secure? Find out ; Huge rise in rogue banking apps driving fraud attacks
- Use of Artificial Intelligence Poised to Grow in State Government, Survey Finds ; Ways to mitigate artificial intelligence problems
- Vatican enters wearables market with a new e-rosary
- Where are US fintech’s next billion-dollar startups?
401k, 403b, 457b, NONQUALIFIED, STATE-RUN PLANS & LITIGATION
- Target-Date Fund Users Contribute Less Than Non-TDF Counterparts
- What to consider when choosing a stable value fund
- On Trial Date, Schlichter Strikes Another Settlement ; Allina Health Inks $2.4M Deal To End ERISA Class Action ; Nearly $100000 stolen from participant in Estee Lauder 401(k) plan
- Senators push for vote on Secure Act retirement bill; In-Plan Guaranteed Income Will Always Be a Challenge
- TSP: Is everybody (anybody) happy?
- How to Build (and Judge) a Successful 401k Plan: Case Study
- Allina Health to pay $2.4 million to DC participants under proposed settlement
- Breaking Free From Interest Rate Bind on DB Funding
- Why Does Local Police And Fire Pension Consolidation Matter For Illinois?
- Troubles keep mounting for Fisher Investments as losses in pension assets hit $1.3 billion ; Members of Los Angeles pension board ready to drop money manager Ken Fisher
- Pressure for Pension Reform Grows Ahead of Budget ; ‘If I lose my pension, I’ve lost everything’: Coal miners worry about losing pensions
- Connecticut’s teacher pension system isn’t working for millennials. That’s a problem.
- Borough returns pension benefits to pre-2012 rate
- Some elected officials get big pensions along with big salaries
- Is it time to change the retirement age?
- Bipartisan support called crucial to UK pension reform bill ; UK Millennials Worse Off Than People Born in the 1970s
- Collective schemes pose threat to final salary pensions
- Going Dutch? Low interest rates rattle ‘world’s best’ pension system
- Firefighter’s widow, union feel ‘cheated’ over slashed pension
- China’s workforce saving more for retirement amid concerns about state pension, survey finds
- Walmart Will Take a $2.2 Billion Charge for Asda Pension Change
- Fed’s Williams: Central bank will adjust response to money market volatility ‘as appropriate’ ; Fed’s Evans says central bank should be ‘aggressive’ to boost inflation in low rate world
- US Consumers’ Comfort in Buying Climate Climbs to Record High
- Oil prices fall on signs of large US stock build; What’s behind the price of gasoline?
- Finance officers renew push for stable net asset value ; Mutual fund boards maintain strong governance, survey says
- The Company of the Future Is Private
- Saying goodbye to LIBOR – what asset allocators need to know
- African debt stabilising but region faces headwinds – IMF
- China’s Economic Growth Slows as Challenges Mount
- Japan’s inflation slows to near 2-1/2-year low, keeps BOJ under pressure
- What Is in the New Brexit Deal? ; Investors’ Brexit Relief Turns to Deal Doubt
- Investors turn to alternative assets as risks rise ; Ivy League Endowment Strategy Loses Luster in Disappointing Year
- The hedge fund battle to control PG&E leaves no one to root for ; Endowments Cut Hedge Fund Exposure Over High Fees, Survey Shows ; The Research Hedge Funds Want to Pay For ; $1 Billion Pulled From Hong Kong Hedge Funds, Most Since 2009
- Average private equity fund selling at face value – survey ; Investors Now Pay Full Price for Second-Hand Private Equity ; The Difference Between Private Equity And Venture Capital
- Cryptocurrency executives charged with running $11 million Ponzi scheme ; Central banks could be left behind on digital currencies ; Fidelity Opens Up Bitcoin Business to Billions ; China’s Global Cryptocurrency May Be on the Horizon ; China’s Cryptocurrency Plan Has a Powerful Partner: Big Brother
- Role of banks and advisers on family office transactions diminishing
- Real estate trend has millennials ditching cities for small-town life
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Jeffrey H. Snyder is the Creator and Founder of The Morning Pulse, Inc. Considered an “industry insider”, thought-leader and an independent voice, he has appeared in both television and print discussing the issues related to retirement and the capital markets. He also is the creator, producer and host of the The Weekly Pulse podcast and TV show, as well as the original series Roads2Retirement.
ABOUT THE MORNING PULSE
Founded in 2012, The Morning Pulse, Inc. is an award-winning digital technology, media company and consulting firm focused on aggregating, organizing and delivering retirement and financial services industry information daily and weekly. Over 600,000, individuals, industry professionals, private and public sector executives, and government officials have come to trust The Morning Pulse for timely delivery of important and relevant news and content.