BRN Weekly Podcast for Sunday, December 8, 2019 In this episode: (1) LinkedIn research: 57 ways that individuals make it to the c-suite (2) small farmers reach the worst crisis point in decades (3) the exploding cost of child care (4) economic indicators turn around, the consensus for a downturn turns out to be wrong (5) days of the year when homes are more likely to sell at a discount (6) a holiday shopping update: how are brick and mortar stores doing? (7) a new airplane seat design will make it easier to sleep in economy, (8) a closer look at the impact of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and (9) Senator Paul’s proposal to repay student loan debt from IRAs and 401ks
TOP SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS
PERSONAL FINANCE, FINANCIAL WELLNESS, ANNUITIES, TAXES, CHARITY & FINANCIAL LITERACY
- A Playbook for Riding Out the Next Recession
- To save and spend wisely, heed advice from behavioral finance experts
- If I have student loans to pay off, should I also save for retirement? Here’s what experts say ; Rand Paul’s plan to ease student debt by dipping into 401(k) accounts would do anything but help
- How can shopping loan rates affect your credit?
- A financial to-do list you should complete by the end of the year
- How to Plan Your Finances for a Divorce; Planning for death, as a way to improve life
- Can I Buy a Ballpark Hot Dog and Still Afford to Retire? ; Want To Retire Early in Your State? Aim To Save This Much
- Changing Risks In Retirement, Part Two: Unknown Longevity
- Timing matters when it comes to managing sequence-of-returns risk ; How can I tell if an annuity is a good deal?
- Robo-Advisors’ Assets Grew 10% in First 9 Months of 2019 ; ‘Will there be room for my teenage son to have a career in finance, or will robo-advisers take over?’
HEALTHCARE & WELLNESS
- US health spending reached $3.65T in 2018. What drove the growth?
- Health Savings Account Balances, Contributions, Distributions, and Other Vital Statistics, 2018
- There’s a healthcare crisis, and telemedicine wants to cure it
- As Healthcare Goes Digital, Social Care Lags Behind
- 7 Ways Misinterpreting Your Healthcare Plan Is Hurting Your Wallet
- November was healthcare’s second strongest hiring month of 2019
- Health Insurance Tax in 2018 Impacted National Healthcare Spending, Report Says
TECH, MEDIA & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Financial agencies warn about avoiding cybersecurity threats during holiday season
- Deepfake: The AI Endangering Your Cybersecurity ; VA dives into artificial intelligence R&D
- It’s Time For A Federal Fintech Sandbox ; The grand digitization of the finance industry: How technology is paving the path towards the future ; Building trust in the financial digital ecosystem
- Amazon Grows in New York, Reviving Debate Over Abandoned Queens Project ; Amazon Admits Delivery Delays This Holiday Season
401k, 403b, 457b, NONQUALIFIED, STATE-RUN PLANS & LITIGATION
- Is Auto-Enrollment Helping or Hurting Long-Term Retirement Saving? ; Self-Directed 401(k) Millennial Investors Favor ETFs, Cash
- TSP participants must secure their online accounts by the end of the year
- IRS Publishes Required Amendments List for DC Plans ;Most 401(k)s Embrace New Hardship Rules
- Rand Paul bill would allow withdrawals from retirement accounts to pay down student loans
- Ligand Beats Worker’s Suit Over 401(k), Stock Paid to Ex-Wife ; American Airlines Workers Say ERISA Row Is ‘Ripe’ For Cert. ; Lawyers in SEI 401(k) Suit Defend Fee Request After Objection
- 10 Action Steps for DB Sponsors in 2020
- Why Congress Must Fix Multiemployer Pensions ; No Private Equity Fund Responsibility for Company’s Pension Withdrawal Liabilities
- Why Utah Has Become America’s Economic Star
- 5-year Pottstown police deal, raises will add up to $750K to budget by 2024
- State’s largest debt sparks battle over public benefit
- School pension costs to rise about $100 million next year but that’s good news
- CalPERS slashes equity emerging managers program
- Milwaukee just settled the 2020 budget, but city officials are already wary of what’s to come
- Guess how much the Illinois pension debt has climbed to. New data shows what the state now faces.
- Gov. Bevin signs executive order prohibiting pension spiking
- Danbury para-educators to contribute to pensions
- Alcoa pension plan pays out $110 million in lump sums
- Chile hikes solidarity pillar pension payments
- French Strike Aims to Save an Envied, but Convoluted, Approach to Pensions ; A look at France’s heated debate over pensions
- Effort to derisk pension schemes has come back to haunt them
- US Consumer Sentiment Hits Seven-Month High Amid Stocks Cheer
- US adds 266000 jobs in November, unemployment dips to 3.5%
- Blowout jobs report means Fed may sound even less likely to move on interest rates ; Does the stock market even need a US-China trade deal with the jobs report this hot?
- What Nervous Investors Are Buying to Feel Brave
- Oil on track for weekly gain as OPEC+ set to confirm supply cut ; US oil producers burning record amount of natural gas
- Global ETF Assets Hit $6 Trillion and Still Counting ; Morningstar: It’s Time to Disrupt Index Providers
- Cities are banning natural gas in new homes, citing climate change ; EU finance ministers to boost funding for sustainable investments ; It’s not just millennials demanding sustainable investment ; College Maintains “Minimal Exposure” to Fossil Fuel Investments
- Economy, central bankers to support gold in 2020
- Supreme Court justices question Intel’s argument in retirement fund suit ; Apollo Eyes Expansion in Japan, Where Pension Funds Are Piling Into Alternatives
- Pension funds find changing public opinion is part of a PE investor’s role ; Private Equity Has Quietly Increased Exposure to RIAs
- How venture capital can transform global health ; Venture Capital Doesn’t Work for Everyone. There’s Another Way.
- Is Cryptocurrency In For Another Volatile December? ; The IRS has a new tax form out and wants to know about your cryptocurrency ; Central Banks Issuing Digital Currency Could Be a Bluff; Here’s How
- Chinese investment in US commercial real estate plunges 76% ; Retirees Influence Commercial Real Estate
- Multigenerational Wealth Preservation: What You Need To Know ; Wealthy and young investors are driving shift towards ESG
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Jeffrey H. Snyder is the Creator and Founder of The Morning Pulse, Inc. Considered an “industry insider”, thought-leader and an independent voice, he has appeared in both television and print discussing the issues related to retirement and the capital markets. He also is the creator, producer and host of the The Weekly Pulse podcast and TV show, as well as the original series Roads2Retirement.
ABOUT THE MORNING PULSE
Founded in 2012, The Morning Pulse, Inc. is an award-winning digital technology, media company and consulting firm focused on aggregating, organizing and delivering retirement and financial services industry information daily and weekly. Over 600,000, individuals, industry professionals, private and public sector executives, and government officials have come to trust The Morning Pulse for timely delivery of important and relevant news and content.