BRN Weekly Podcast for Sunday, December 1, 2019 In this episode: (1) Black Friday and Cyber Monday: How do you know when to buy?, (2) the tech industry is becoming a hotbed for collective bargaining, (3) Giving USA: charitable donations continue to drop, (4) 23andMe and Ancestry.com look to grow their businesses, (5) reaction to the Google – Ascension data share, (6) what are the Legal Eagles thankful for this holiday season? E-Delivery, the shift to decumulation, benefit and plan privacy rules, (7) the importance of perspective and dealing with Thanksgiving leftovers, (8) an analysis of the National Associate of Home Realtors October’s pending home sales index (9) the silver tsunami will create market elasticity, but will these homes be in demand?, and (10) gifts that payoff: the retirement coach
TOP SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS
PERSONAL FINANCE, FINANCIAL WELLNESS, ANNUITIES, TAXES, CHARITY & FINANCIAL LITERACY
- Most Americans plan to steer clear of shopping debt this holiday season: survey; 4 Financially Smart Gifts to Give Yourself and Others This Year
- OK, millennial? Financial literacy sputters as personal debt skyrockets
- Yes, You Can Get Free Trading. But There’s Often a Catch.
- How to bounce back from early retirement fails ; Adjusting to Retirement Is a Job In and Of Itself ; Ready to Retire? If You Can’t Answer These 3 Questions, You Aren’t ; The expenses clients often forget when planning for retirement
- Use financial psychology to crush those saving goals
- Be Careful When Buying An Annuity ; Don’t discount annuities until you are clear on your situation
- Their Child Has Special Needs. Here’s How They’re Planning for a Lifetime of Assistance
- The real cost of charitable giving is lower than you might think, thanks to tax credits ; Making the Most of Charitable Giving Before and After Retirement
HEALTHCARE & WELLNESS
- Employer health care costs to rise 6.8% in 2020 ; Lab to pay $26 mil for conspiring with Texas hospitals to induce doctor referrals, bill Medicare
- Steering Patients Through the Healthcare System
TECH, MEDIA & SOCIAL MEDIA
- The best apps to use on Black Friday
- Is screen time slowly replacing grandparents?
- How can financial institutions prevent shopping season fraud? ; Malicious third party apps leak personal data from Facebook, Twitter ; USPS Faces Modernization, Cybersecurity Challenges
- Where exactly are we with AI in higher education?
- Upscale New York City restaurants experience data breach
- A blockchain/IoT combo could reduce food fraud by $131B in five years
- DOJ ends wireless collusion investigation
- Facebook, Instagram experience outage on Thanksgiving Day
- Disney+ Could Reach 126 Million Subscribers in 5 Years
401k, 403b, 457b, NONQUALIFIED, STATE-RUN PLANS & LITIGATION
- Americans Aren’t Coming Close to Maxing Out Their Retirement Plans, Data Shows
- Rubio Asks Trump to Replace FRTIB Members in Ongoing Battle Over the I Fund; Mayor Pete’s Senior Payoff
- How to Navigate the Pension Landscape ; Negative Interest Rates’ Impact on Public Pensions
- New York pension funds reach $41 million settlement with Wynn Resorts
- Gavin Newsom’s climate order focuses on pensions and roads. What does it mean for taxpayers?
- Central States Pension Fund recipients would see 19% benefit cuts under Senate GOP proposal
- Countries should strengthen pension systems to adapt to changing world of work
- The hidden cost of pension lump sums
- The death of Chile’s pension promise
- Lack of interest in savings fueling gender pensions gap ; Expanding employee pension coverage
- The migrants who made China an industrial giant face a grim retirement
- French Mariners Fear Watery Grave for 17th Century Pension Perks
- More than 12 million adults don’t own a savings account, report says
- Savers unaware of pension charges
- Bill to make pension plans easier to access, more flexible
- Barclays joins rivals with cuts to CEO pension perks
- Regulator finds ‘substantial resistance’ to robo advice
- Economy growing better than economists had expected just a few weeks ago
- Will retailers get a big Black Friday win this year?
- A Worrying Week For Oil Markets ; Oil to be stuck in a rut in 2020 as slowing demand fuels glut: Reuters poll ; Natural Gas Tumbles as Temperatures Set to Rise ; Gasoline prices similar to last year for holiday travelers
- YTD ETF Inflows Rise To $264B ; ETFs are seeing ‘enormous growth’ in this part of the global market
- German central banker pushes back on calls for ECB to fight climate change ; Largest asset managers failing to support climate targets ; Big Four Auditors Face Investor Calls for Tougher Climate Scrutiny ; Harvard-Yale Halftime Invasion Is a Teaching Moment for ESG
- Head of $247-billion Canadian pension fund says China-US tension is here to stay
- UK Consumer Confidence Lowest Heading Into Election Since 2010 ; Foreign Investors Pile Out of UK Bonds as Election Looms
- Alternative investment funds on rise in Luxembourg; How derivatives can widen your market horizons
- Stability has destabilised the macro hedge fund
- MLB ownership rule change puts private equity in scoring position ; Warren’s Private Equity Bill Receives Pushback
- Real Estate Thought It Was Invincible in New York. It Wasn’t.
- Cryptocurrency crime tops $4.4bn in 2019 – CipherTrace ; Fidelity creates blockchain token to reward employees ; HSBC Moves $20 Billion From Paper to Blockchain In One Of The Biggest Financial Deployments ; Cryptocurrency expert accused of assisting North Korea in evading sanctions
- Family offices are gaining visibility, but remain tricky to define.
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Jeffrey H. Snyder is the Creator and Founder of The Morning Pulse, Inc. Considered an “industry insider”, thought-leader and an independent voice, he has appeared in both television and print discussing the issues related to retirement and the capital markets. He also is the creator, producer and host of the The Weekly Pulse podcast and TV show, as well as the original series Roads2Retirement.
ABOUT THE MORNING PULSE
Founded in 2012, The Morning Pulse, Inc. is an award-winning digital technology, media company and consulting firm focused on aggregating, organizing and delivering retirement and financial services industry information daily and weekly. Over 600,000, individuals, industry professionals, private and public sector executives, and government officials have come to trust The Morning Pulse for timely delivery of important and relevant news and content.