March 4, 2019 SUBSCRIBE
- The Weekly Pulse for Sunday, March 3, 2019 In this episode: (1) Funding state and local government pensions – is there a better way?, (2) redefining “retirement” (should that word even apply anymore?), (3) The phony retirement crisis? (4) An Oscar shift?, (5) positive GDP numbers – what does this mean for investors (is there a recession looming)? and (6) the quarterly home owner rate is 64.8%; 43% of senior are renting. This week’s special guest is Professor Jon Forman, University of Oklahoma College of Law.
- The TOP SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS feature will return next week!
PERSONAL FINANCE, FINANCIAL WELLNESS & FINANCIAL LITERACY
- The Phony Retirement Crisis
- The Math Of Being A Woman: How To Beat The Gender Retirement Gap
- Four Myths About Estate Planning
- Should schools teach mortgages, credit cards and financial literacy?
- Baby Boomer Labor Force Rebounds
- Using an Annuity for Immediate Income ; Is guaranteed drawdown making a comeback among advisers?; ERISA Annuity Safe Harbor Bill Introduced in House
- Banks Are Paying Peanuts on Deposits. Robo Advisers Are Offering Higher Rates.
- Managing Market Volatility When College Bills Are Imminent
- The No. 1 thing buyers regret about purchasing their home
HEALTHCARE & WELLNESS
- Bipartisan bill seeks to delay health insurance tax by 2 years
- Health care spending is more than just the parts you see ; Cost major influence in choosing medical care, survey shows
- Investment assets in HSA accounts jump 23% in 2018
- HealthCare.gov Plans Reject 19% of In-Network Claims: Kaiser ; Insurer, hospital lobbyists unite against Medicare for All proposals
TECH & SOCIAL MEDIA
- The Difference Between Machine Learning, Deep Learning and Science Fiction ; How to Navigate Investing in AI, From Someone Who’s Done It
- The Deep Vault of Millennial Fintech Apps
- The Worst Data Breaches of the Century (So Far); Marriott Cites Growing Pains Following Data Breach, Labor Strikes
- Cuomo Speaks With Bezos, Furiously Trying to Win Back Amazon ; Amazon tries to get rid of fake products
- Contractors Face More Stringent Cybersecurity Requirements
- Robots hit US companies in 2018 more than ever
- Majority of cybersecurity incidents go unreported to SEC, analysis finds
- New York Requests Documents from Facebook, Apps on Data Sharing
- Human Resources And Information Technology: An Odd Yet Necessary Relationship
401k, 403b, 457b, NONQUALIFIED, STATE-RUN PLANS & LITIGATION
- Surprise! 401(k) Plans Are Actually Better Than Pensions at Doing This
- How A Cash Balance Plan Can Turbo-Charge Your 401(k) Plans
- DOL Monetary Recoveries for Benefit Plans, Participants Increased in FY 2018
- School workers face ‘garbage fire of bad choices’ of retirement plans
- Recent Wins for 401(k) Investors Signal New Class Defense Tactic
- Despite a lot of talking, no action being taken ; Could state retirement plans create opportunity for advisers?
- The Drastic, Risky, Measures to Fix America’s Brokest Pension Systems
- Fiduciary Responsibility: How Far Does it Extend?
- New York City Leads Anti-Carbon Coalition of Big Funds
- These 2 Senators Don’t Want Taxpayers Paying for ‘Plush’ Pensions for Wealthy Lawmakers
- Nguyen accuses CalPERS of “screwing the pooch” in many cities
- Odds Improving that Kentucky Will Pass Sports Betting to Help Bolster Pensions
- Michigan lawmakers take first step to repeal tax on pensions
- Regional university retirement bill moves to Senate
- Retired vets may get tax breaks on pensions
- Objections to Plan to Underpay Pensions
- New Policy Makes it Easier for Municipalities to Terminate Participation in MERS Defined Benefit Plan
- What Pension Funds Need To Know About Commercial Real Estate
- Big US pension funds ask electric utilities for decarbonization plans
- Union wants Pennsylvania school pension fund to divest private prison stocks
- PBGC Seeks Recovery of Investment Losses for Terminated Retirement Plan
- UK corporate pension funding advances in month, year
- New solutions needed for defined benefit pension schemes
- UK’s FCA wants feedback on proposed rules about disclosing DC plan fees
- Accountant Trustee Used Pension as ‘Personal Piggy Bank’
- Week ahead: US jobs, retail earnings, ECB ratesUS Consumer Sentiment Slipped in late February
- Equity markets are ‘at the end stage’ of the rally
- New data sources make it harder for executives to mislead investors
- Oil Eases as Investors Await Fresh Supply Signals ; A Global Tour Of Crude Oil: Which Countries Matter Most?
- Passive Assets Surpass Active in US Large Caps
- Michigan Endowment Dips Toe into Crypto Pool ; Equities Killed Norway’s Sovereign Wealth Fund in 2018
- Possible Brexit Delay Worries UK Businesses ; UK Yield Curve to Flatten if Brexit Deal Approved
- Hong Kong’s Future Fund to allocate over 50% into alternative investments
- Hedge funds record best January since 2006 ; Hedge Funds 2019 Outlook Report
- Private Equity Fundraising Expected to Slow in 2019 ; Private equity investors fret about managers overpaying for deals ; Here’s how private equity is bracing for a looming recession; The future of private equity: three themes to follow
- Get ready for a Facebook-sponsored cryptocurrency ; Turks Own More Cryptocurrency Than Any Other European Nation
- Will REITs Continue to Deliver Outsized Returns in 2019?
- 2019 US VC Funds Take A More Boutique Approach
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Jeffrey H. Snyder is the Creator and Founder of The Morning Pulse, Inc. Considered an “industry insider”, thought-leader and an independent voice, he has appeared in both television and print discussing the issues related to retirement and the capital markets. He also is the creator, producer and host of the The Weekly Pulse podcast and TV show, as well as the original series Roads2Retirement.
ABOUT THE MORNING PULSE
Founded in 2012, The Morning Pulse, Inc. is an award-winning digital technology, media company and consulting firm focused on aggregating, organizing and delivering retirement and financial services industry information daily and weekly. Over 200,000 industry professionals, private and public sector executives and government officials have come to trust The Morning Pulse for timely delivery of important and relevant news and content.