The Weekly Pulse Podcast for Sunday, August 18, 2019
In this episode: (1) CalSavers Executive Director Katie Selenski joins us to discuss recent successes of the Program since it’s July 1, 2019 rollout, (2) Ancestry.com thinks about a move in to healthcare and drug negotiations go viral, (3) the inverted yield curve and recession sentiment, (4) negative interest rate impacts on bonds, consumers and even public pensions, (5) new regulatory guidance for missing retirement plan participants, (6) negative mortgage rates in the Netherlands – could it happen in the U.S. and (7) the mindset of excluding Social Security from your retirement projections.
TOP SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS
PERSONAL FINANCE, FINANCIAL WELLNESS, ANNUITIES, TAXES & FINANCIAL LITERACY
- Despite scary headlines, America’s elderly continue to prosper ; Older workers who lose job-related cognitive abilities more likely to retire early
- 4 Steps Employees Should Take to Stop 401k Leaks
- Why low interest rates are good for Millennials and bad for Boomers
- 70% of New College Grads Would Prefer to Start Own Business
- How much you’ll need to invest each month to retire with $2 million at age 20, 30, 40 and beyond
- Millennials are determined to retire early. Here’s how they can actually pull it off.
- Could the Typical Fed Benefit from Capital Gains Reform?
- SEC draws ire with indexed annuity misstep ; Retirement Exec: This is what a ‘good annuity’ looks like ; Insurers pivot amid declining interest rates
- Financial Advisors vs Robo Advisors – Battle of The Useless
- Should I Take Social Security Retirement Benefits Early To Invest In My 401k?
- Give Your Teenager a Credit Card? Some Financial Experts Say Yes
- Is It OK To Have A Mortgage When You Retire?
- As Politics Creep Into Philanthropy, Beneficiaries Come Under Fire
HEALTHCARE & WELLNESS
- Family healthcare spending now equals the cost of a new Harley-Davidson, report says
- To save money, American patients and surgeons meet in Cancun
- Evaluating Medicare Programs Against Saving Taxpayer Dollars
- Most providers not fully compliant with HIPAA access requirements, research shows
TECH, MEDIA & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Tech journalist breaks first rule of holding cryptocurrency, loses $30000
- 70% of Financial Companies Suffered a Cybersecurity Incident in the Past 12 Months
- Hy-Vee investigating if customer payment data was exposed at fuel pumps, other locations ; European Central Bank Closes a Website Following Hack ; Chicago Says It Can Sue Marriott Over Data Breach ; Ex-CIA chief worries campaigns falling short on cybersecurity
- Facebook, Google, Amazon vie with local apps to turn India cashless
- Walmart Files Patent for Blockchain-Backed Drone Communication
- Amazon.com defeats IRS appeal in US tax dispute
- Using Artificial Intelligence to Better Predict Severe Weather
401k, 403b, 457b, NONQUALIFIED, STATE-RUN PLANS & LITIGATION
- Consultants Gambled Their Reputation — And It Paid Off
- A look at the legislative landscape for decumulation options in DC plans
- Stakeholders Urged to Push Retirement Policy for Presidential Election
- GE DC plan participants lose $286 million on company stock amid fraud claim
- Auto portability would reduce plan leakage – EBRI study
- 9 ways California’s new retirement plan changes the retirement savings landscape ; States Aren’t Waiting for Washington to Offer Workers Retirement Security ; Small Employers: Look Before Leaping Into New MEP 401(k) Option
- Fidelity Defends Fees, Rejects Fiduciary Label in 401(k) Suit ; Schlichter Wins One, Loses Several in Excessive Fee Suit
- No, Public Pension Reform Experiments Have Not Failed ; Amid Concerns of a Recession, Pension Plan Returns Fall Short ; Closing DB plans doesn’t solve pension problems
- US Pensions Return 6.47% for Fiscal 2019, Miss Target
- CalPERS Offers Pre-Funding Trust to State Public Employers ; ‘He did not perform any work’: former CSU professor loses 10 years of CalPERS service credit
- City’s debt depends on benefits; say no to torching weeds
- Milwaukee facing looming jump in annual pension contributions in midst of challenging budget
- Sacramento County retirees waited months for pension checks to start. That’s now changing.
- Pension decisions prove painful for health districts
- Amid Concerns of a Recession, Pension Plan Returns Fall Short
- City to put tax reimbursement toward pensions
- Virginia Beach sends out survey to get feedback on raising public safety retirement age
- AT&T, Warner Media offers lump-sum payouts to 59000 DB participants
- US Bank’s High Court Pension Row May Have Broad Impact
- Pension transfers values could see 5% uplift
- Over 600000 citizens’ minimum pensions to increase in Azerbaijan
- Regulator Finds Errors In Pension Funds Run By Prudential ; UK judge blocks $15 billion transfer of Prudential annuities to Rothesay Life
- Biggest Dutch pension funds very likely to cut payouts next year
- Australians Warned Over Cryptocurrency-Heavy Self Managed Pensions
- Tackling the ‘long tail’ of underperforming smaller schemes
- Army pensions watchdog wades into taper tax battle
- Americans’ confidence in the economy droops in August, sentiment survey shows ; US: Real economy isn’t as bad as advertised – NFB ; Powell Expected to Seek Another Cut Despite Strong Spending
- Central Banks Risk a Race to the Bottom by Cutting Rates in Unison
- Treasury Rally Gets Supercharged by Pension, Insurer Hedge Flows ; The $3.4 Trillion Haven Where Investors ‘Hide Out for a While’
- The Danger of Plunging Interest Rates and Delayed Buying ; Fiscal policy with high debt and low interest rates
- Central banks haven’t shifted direction this abruptly in a decade ; Markets Are Questioning Central Bank Relevance
- 30 million jobs expected to open nationwide as the Baby Boomers retire, but who will fill them?
- Oil rises 2% as recession fears recede
- Will ETFs Cause Mutual Funds to Be Extinct? ; Can ESG Thrive in a Market Downturn?
- Why You Should Consider Expanding Your Business With Caution as the Economy Weakens
- Foundation Returns in 2018 Were Lowest in a Decade
- London stock market suffers worst outage in eight years
- Hong Kong Adds $2.4 Billion in Stimulus as Protests Hit Economy
- Investors Looking to Alternatives Amid Volatility ; Why Alternative Investments Should Be Included In Retirement Portfolios ; CalPERS commits $1.9 billion to 4 alts funds
- Hedge funds post 0.44 per cent monthly return in July ; GE Rout Ambushes Hedge Funds After Second-Quarter Buying Spree ; Negative Interest Rates And Thriving Hedge Funds
- Private equity exits slow down in 2019
- Walmart Cryptocurrency Patent Just The Latest Of A String Of False Starts ; New money-laundering rules change everything for cryptocurrency exchanges ; IRS Sends Second Round Tax Warnings to Cryptocurrency Investors
- Housing starts slump 4% in July, but there’s one silver lining for the real-estate market
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Jeffrey H. Snyder is the Creator and Founder of The Morning Pulse, Inc. Considered an “industry insider”, thought-leader and an independent voice, he has appeared in both television and print discussing the issues related to retirement and the capital markets. He also is the creator, producer and host of the The Weekly Pulse podcast and TV show, as well as the original series Roads2Retirement.
ABOUT THE MORNING PULSE
Founded in 2012, The Morning Pulse, Inc. is an award-winning digital technology, media company and consulting firm focused on aggregating, organizing and delivering retirement and financial services industry information daily and weekly. Over 500,000, individuals, industry professionals, private and public sector executives, and government officials have come to trust The Morning Pulse for timely delivery of important and relevant news and content.